Monday 18 November 2013

Music Video Demographics and Target Audience


Producing primary market research gives a general idea of the interests of a range of demographics; in regards to music videos. After researching demographics I have gained knowledge about videos in the music industry and diverse points of views from different demographics. I wanted to explore my knowledge deeper to discover my target audience, to do this I created a survey on survey monkey.com this allowed me to use social media to ask for responses. By using a range of mediums I was able to gather enough information to create a conclusion. After having the survey on for four days I received 15 responses in total after posting the survey onto the social networking sites Facebook and Twitter. My evidence is shown below.

Having put the survey onto these sites I got more of a response rather than if I would have if I just emailed the survey to people or left it on surveymonkey.com to fill in. Having collected the information four days after I started the survey I believe I have a good set amount of information. I am going to look back at the survey each month and see how many results I have calibrated by reposting it to the social network sites. I am then going to compare my results later in the year to these I have gained in the last few days.



I decided to start my survey off with the simple questions of with the simple question of gender and age. I did this because survey monkey.com doesn't have identification on the site therefore I wanted to get to know my target audience of the survey a bit better. What I liked about the survey and the advantage of positing it to social network sites is that you can get a range of responses from people of different age groups. I chose to pick two different sets of ages for the first two categories and then place them in 9 years for each category after this.
I did this because my possible target audience for my music video is of a younger genre and I wanted to analyse both under and over 18 for maturity reasons. I believe that looking at the results for 10-18 would give me a more appropriate target audience range for my video therefore this was a category I was particularly interested in.
There were more females than males that answered my survey and although I would of liked a split of gender to receive several opinions from each sex never the less over 60% of the 15 people who completed the survey were female, this shows that they are more attracted to content published using social media as a form of
advertising.I believe females are more appropriate for learning the demographics of my music video. I am going to use this information to determine who my target audience will be for my final music video production and appropriately plan my video to this information with the incorporation of relevant theorists which will engage the appropriate audience. It is therefore clear that I must make my final music video appeal to the mainly females however, we must not ignore the male participants of this survey and how their results would have contributed to the following answers.


I produced this question on continents to see if I could get any global interest on this survey. I was not surprised to find that 14 of my 15 responses lived in Europe however to help myself in this question by specifying where in Europe people live.
By choosing an artist that lives in Australia I wanted to see if anybody located in and around that area would take my survey. This wasn't the case however I did receive a response from Africa.
Due to not have social networking friends from Africa on Facebook I know this is a source from Twitter.com.

Knowing that my method of advertising only appealed to an english audience I will know that once my music video production is complete I will have to use internet forums/fan blogs/YouTube tags to interest a larger global market following Anderson's 'long tail' theory where niche markets are extended by appealing to larger audiences with the accessibility to people all over the world with the internet as a gateway to them. This conveys how new media is providing more opportunities to develop media productions such as my planned video. 

In my next question I wanted to look further into understanding the demographics of my audience therefore asked them how many bedrooms they had in their house. The most popular answer with 6 responses was a three bedroom house and the second being one response away was a four bedroom house. This is showing they are a member of a financially successful family able to maintain the financial requirements to maintain living in this.  We could have in this question had improved the accuracy and asked for if the house was mortgaged/ bought or rented as well as specify where they live however I though this would deter people from taking the survey as the information would be too personal therefore I removed it from my initial survey. The majority of the responses were created by people under the age of 24 and after taken into consideration it shows it is not the case that they are the primary source of income for their household, the demographic information gathered here if targeting this age group is irrelevant. If I decide that I would like to target an older demographic this information would be required however the survey is showing I appeal to and have an easy access to communicate to. 
I wanted to confirm the occupations of the audience taking the survey and therefore understand their demographic and potentially their income.
    Half of the audience and the majority who answered the survey were students.This shows that they have a high level of intelligence and a strong thought process as they will more than likely be studying A Levels or doing a course of a similar work load. I also have to take into consideration that the generation of this population are going to be the next generation who work in full time employment or further education. Through knowledge of todays financial situation I understand that this means they will ultimately be leading to a salary of £21,000 of higher. I have to keep that figure in mind when deciding upon my final demographic for my music video.
With that in mind I should aim to create a music video that appeals more towards my own age range and the age gathered most in my survey; 10-18. This will then create more of a connection between the product and the target audience I have set myself. I will also think about these figured callibrated when creating my supporting products for the music video, due to the fact I need my product to appeal to a younger audience I can look at existing products in the industry such as Q magazine, VIBE, Clash and NME. When creating my digpak and music video I shall aim to ask models and talent in the same age as the students on my survey to portray continuity of the social media throughout. By this, meaning that the people on my social media sites are able to relate to the people in my finished products and analyse the products based on information they can connect tp themselves. I should however create more responses from audiences to conclude this further to ensure accuracy.

I chose to explore the genre of music that peopl emost prefer due to the fact I want my video to appeal to several demographics. I could look at the results and then incorporate them into my music video so that not just people with pop interest will be willing to watch the video.
The results showed that Indie/indie rock and pop were the top two results of the poll. This was to be expected in my opinion due to the knowledge I have of people my age (16-19) who are interested in them two genres. The people that are related to the other genres have usually lived in a decade where that was a main feature such as the 25+ age. People that were brought up in the 1990's to 2010's have experienced alot of pop and alternative music, more so now as niche markets have become more popular and 'vinatge'. The market for alternative acts is still existant in the music industry and social media such as Youtube, Vine and Facebook has allowed upcoming singer songwriters to make themselves known to the public and producers.
I wrote this question in order to find out the peoples favourite artists. I did this already taking into consideration the fact there are several age ranges within my survey and people like different generes, decades and aspire to different people. I made this an option question so that people could write their thoughts along the bottom rather than having to choose one. Three answers out of the fifteen responses chose not to specify and this is because they like a range of artists. This is more the case in the modern music industry due to the range of music within one genre. There are so many different artists and styles within one genre it is hard to specify. Other artists mentioned are artists such as One Republic, Imagine Dragons and Bon Jovi. These are all of different styles of music therefore my demographic of the audience is varied. In my music video I will undertake the challenge of specifying to one genre to but trying to appeal to several other styles of music. For example Icona Pop are a pop chart band never the less their single 'I Love It' was deamed as a guilty pleasure for my other people who dont normally listen to chart/pop music. Another way I would be able to do this is if I were to take a well known pop song yet get somebody else to sing it fro my music video or introduce a covered version by the same artists. This would maybe help me attract people who prefer different styles of music to POP.

The third answer on this screenshot was interesting to me because the audience member said they like the album and songs from the artists because memories were attached. I believe this is a strong part of music and it is to me as an individual. If a song is playing at the time of a specific moment to a person and they remember that moment the song becomes part of the moment aswell. Whether it is good or bad this can have a large scaled affect on the person and the artists of the song. The individual in the moment might remember the song for a good or a bad reason therefore it will affect their judgement on a particular artist or song. This is a common occurance of everday life as our brains attach certain elements of a memory with the contents and the surroundings. The answer specifies both good and bad memories are attached to Charlie Simpsons album therefore it became a part of the individuals life. In my music video I want to create a scene that is recognised and people can relate to. Rihanna's video 'We Found Love' powerfully shows this as the plot was created to show love can be as powerful as a drug yet shows it in a way that everyone can relate to; young people for their generation now and older for what there used to be. Thinking about this subject in particular I want to apply this to my own music video.
I was surprised with the results on this questionnaire due to my personal preference but this has made me think into the audience of my music video. Eight responses out of fifteen gathered said yes to the question 'Do you enjoy watching music videos and why?' this shows thats just under half of gathered responses dont like watching the music videos. Some answers given responded by saying they just like listening to the music whilst they are doing things and watching the video feels like a waste of their time. For busy people this may be the case therefore I want my music video to

be capable of capturing those who don't and those that do like watching the video. Having wanting to appeal to several audiences I want to make somthing different in the music video but still be in the genre of pop music. To make things different to those who just like listening to music and not watching the video a different version of the song would be better. This could get them to change their opinion on the song if they didn't like it the first time. Aswell as that the video would be a big change in ideas for those who do like watching music video, than the original. A reponse said they like to explore the character within a music video, and that some may be quite bizarre. By appealling to this audience I beleive I have to explore a character in my music video such as creating a narractive that is continuous throughout as well as making it out of the ordinary. Different from 'chart vidoes' that are stereotypical however keeping within the conventions of the genre.
The second highest percentage of people who answered the survey said they watched music videos every couple of days however the highest were the people who don't watch music videos at all therefore this reinforces the fact that I need to make both the song and the video individual and different to attract more audiences than the one genre that I am targeting the video at.
This also shows that sites such as Vevo and Youtube are not succeeding on bringing in all types of audience on their music videos. On the other hand, chart and pop artists are capable of bringing in millions of views on single videos on the sites therefore I believe I would still be able to achieve my goal of attracting a range of music genre's audience.
For the final question I wanted to see what people believed the most important and least important conventions of a music video were. The answered were very varied however overall the singing was the highest scored category within the chart with 40% and six results the convention chose was having a storyline or a narrative to the video aswell as that the second most popular convention was singing at 33.33% and five results. This clarified that I am going to do a music video that is along a storyline, not an abstract video. 6 people agreed that an abstract video was the least important convention in a music video therefore with the results from the online poll on my blog I have decided to get the biggest audience that would not be appropriate for my music video nor for my genre of music and conventionally that is more based with dance or track music.


No comments:

Post a Comment