Wednesday 23 April 2014

Choosing the Music Label

I didn't want to create my own label due to the extensive research and post production I would have to do alongside the hard work and time I have put into my ancillary text and poster for my artist therefore I looked into record labels from the major conglomerates as well as independent record label Rough Trade.

After studying rough trade as a record label in AS Media for my final products I was inspired to know more about the label in order for me to choose it as the label I wanted to use for my A2 digipak and poster. I visited the Rough Trade store in early 2013 and was able to see the style of the label and genre of their artists. I did a little more study into the label below.



As the independent labels have more acoustic or alternative sounds I feel although I could adjust my artist to fit this stereotype, a major label would be more appropriate. I think this due to the genre of my artist, the style in which she is portrayed and her sound as an artist.



I looked into Sony because it is one of the most recognised labels in the music industry and I want to portray my artist to be very known and popular through my presentation and choice of music label. I am going to use a pre-eminent label of sony that is called EPIC. Epic has signed artists such as Michael Jackson, Ciara,  Example, Avril Lavigne and Sean Kingston who are all within the pop genre.


Epic record was founded in 1953 and is one of the earliest music labels owned by Sony Music Entertainment. As Wikipedia says it was conceived as a jazz imprint at that point in time however has developed into representing various genres. It is a flagship of Sony along with RCA and Columbia. The location of the label is in New York City.


The logo for epic is shown above and is what I ma going to be using on my ancillary text. I am aloud to do this as it is a public domain that does not meet the criteria to be able to be copyrighted as shown below therefore I will be representing the label on my cover images.

Added Extras
The Parental Advisory Label (PAL) is a label affixed by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) to audio recordings in the United States containing excessive use of profane language and/or sexual references.
The logo is not a rating, and there are no agreed-upon standards for the label. It is the record company's decision whether or not an album requires a label. Some albums, however, have been considered so extreme in their violent content that the distributor of the album has put on a secondary warning next to the Parental Advisory sticker, most notably Geto Boys' self-titled album released in 1990.
This will not be necessary for my album as I do not have content like this within my album due to the soft nature of it however in some albums such as Rihanna's album where this sticker is feature it is a warning of language and content.
This is an added extra that is up to the label wether they add the sticker or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment