Wednesday 23 April 2014

Shooting Day 7

Equipment:
I have used the same set of equipment for the last six shooting days as well as props, this is one thing that I am continuing to do, without props, as I know my equipment is solid and works well for filming.

Plan:
Day seven consisted of ten minutes in a green room with my male actor. This was to capture the footage against the green backing to put into my previous footage, due to the fact I could not get all my talent together again at the same time at Elle's house. I wanted to try capture Jamie laid on the pillow that I previously captured in Elle's bedroom. Using green screen will mean unless I do set up lighting there will be the shadows I have to challenge and try and erase in the scene. Another thing I have to be aware of when producing the green screen I watch the light coming from the window, this is because the extra shine and sunlight if I soften my talent into the image will shine through his body. I will have to tackle this as it comes I am afraid and I can't get this shot any other way. 
I also recorded a couple of shots that are seductive and also charming incase this didn't work and I could use them as if she was still dreaming of him.


As the green room was set up with equipment for a band I had to manoeuvre myself to the corner of the room so that my filming was possible. Luckily I didn't need much room anyway for my filming and Jamie was willing to lay on the floor for me to be able to do this.


This split in the room from regular to green screen allowed me to film both the original normal footage that would be back up to my green screening method if this didn't work. The lighting and soft boxes also allowed me to light jambes face well here.


Jamie being his regular outgoing self ready for filming!!
I wasn't particularly planning for Jamie to have a certain type of costume as it was just a regular image of Jamie that she was imagining therefore what he just came to college in that day was good enough for my footage.




 The filming of my green screen was difficult as I had to try position Jamie from a picture I had taken, a screenshot, of the frame I needed to place him in. I got him to open his eyes and smile in a soft way to the camera. This was to make eye contact to connect directly to the audience as well my actress in her dream. I did this as it is a common convention of pop music videos, I found this also in Cher Lloyd's video - Want you back.


To begin with between the two of us we had very few idea on what we could do to be seductive and cheesy for my two second clip of Jamie. I felt if he could be a bit silly whilst filming and smiling then I could cut out a couple of seconds to put in the first section of my music video. I would only do this if I was not able to use green screen in one way or another to create my music video. 


I got Jamie to put his hands through his hair followed by a seductive look to the camera with clear eye contact and a smile. I felt this would connect to the audience as well as relate to Elle in her dreams of her always wanting to be close to him or with him in a relationship.



Working with Green Screen in iMovie

Due to not being able to get into College once it his half term with a teacher I was unable to learn green screen on the editing suites. I did use the function for my preliminary two week induction task that is on the start of my blog however forgot how to use this process on the editing suites. Because of this I therefore knew if I wanted to use green screen I would have to use either a third party such as Youtube for tutorial or go into the programme I was going to use and look through the help tools for advice. 
I chose to use iMovie as the programme I did the green screening on due tot he fact I tried to use Final Cut Pro however all the Youtube tutorials to help were not for the latest edition of the programme that I do have the capability or knowledge to do it on a fairly complicated programme. iMovie however was helpful in the sense that it showed full instructions through the help icon. 

The help questions from Apple on iMovie really helped me understand how easy it was to be able  to create and work with on the programme. I felt this was very much achievable and thought I would try it on iMovie before switching to another programme. 

The scene I had to put Jamie into was this one, you can see the relation between the green screening now as Jamie had to hold his head up as best he could as if he was to lay on the pillow on Elle's bed.
I had to first import the video of Jamie and place this above the scene in Elle's room. This was so that the videos overlay and do not collide with one another in the timeline.

After importing I then had to adjust the clip dramatically, by using the green/blue screen tool on the first tab of adjustments this automatically removes any green or blue caught in the scene. The only disappointing this about this was the fact Jamie was wearing a blue top so to colourise this it turned it purple. I had to crop the image slightly so that Jamie was positioned better on the pillow, I tried cropping the image further however this was not working when doing so as Jamie then realistically didn't look natural in the image at all and too close to the camera for the positioning of the room, the proportions therefore looks better as they are here. 
I thought the video was very harsh here therefore I softened the video, the only thing about softening it, is the fact the light is then exposure through Jamie and shines as if he is see through. This is something I therefore have to fix. 


The next thing for me to do in the adjustments was the stabilisation of the video. Due to me also being laid on the floor with Jamie I was very shaky with the camera in my hand. Therefore to make sure this was as stabilised as I could get it, I clicked the stabilisation box to 100% and it made the video have a lot less movement. 


I adjusted the colour of Jamie to have slightly more contrast but have a lighter exposure therefore he was more natural in the scene and his skin colour was lighter, this therefore matched the scene he was placed in.

As the light was still coming through Jamie's body I tried to override this in the scene by painting a relatable colour in, this didn't work because it was still visible through his body therefore the only option I had after that was to up the opacity and unsoften the image but this didn't make him realistic. In a way I could work with this as it is a dream and the audience do need to know he isn't real and isn't there so this could work. 


The final image I was fairly happy with considering the circumstances I have had to go through however there was still the shadow visible. I tried to use the clean up tools in iMovie and different settings to try remove this however every time I did either the light would shine through Jamie brightly again or I would have an image with extremely jagged edges. I did not want either. Therefore I had to prioritise in this situation on what I wanted to look more realistic. 
As Elle has a window that is also in the video at the bottom of Jamie, if the sun was high it is a good possibility that there could be a shadow underneath Jamie so this may not be a problem however I am aware of it and wish I could of edited this further so it was removed softly with the guidance of a teacher. 


Here you can see the rubber tool that I used to try erase the shadow from beneath Jamie.

This screenshot is showing the final effects on what the erasing looked like in the editing section. The light is visible and the edges of Jamie are frayed, this was a definite problem I could not edit further due to iMovie being a fairly simple programme.
Due to the explanation above I chose to keep the shadow so my image was not jagged and broken. 
The only thing left to do was to transport this clip and copy it into the final stages of my music video. I opened the original file and event in iMovie of my video and inserted it ontop of the original. The shot had to be trimmed, cut and manipulated so that the other shots were not to shot and quick for the audience to understand what was going on. A lot of altering took place with the positioning of timings and where I put my green screening image into the original video so that my lip syncing was not off in the other sections. Once I got this in I saved and exported my video to Youtube as my final video. 



No comments:

Post a Comment