Wednesday 23 April 2014

Shooting Day One and Two


Taken into consideration:

  • Actress Change
  • Concept Beginning Changed
  • Location Change
  • Timings Changed

After working with all these I finally got a concept and new actress sorted for my music video therefore I was able to plan my day and perform a first shoot confidently when we would all be available to work with each other.

Equipment I used:



Aim: To capture the middle section of the video from Elle walking through the corridor to the clash of papers and the closing of eyes to close the scene.
Plan:



These are all the video files once they were uploaded to my macbook pro and inserted into the allocated folder. It was then my job to use a programme to edit these videos on and choose one thats appropriate but also not too complex to learn in a short amount of time.






Elle was putting on her makeup before shooting so I took the opportunity to sneakily get some images of her doing so. She has a base line of eyeliner, mascara and eyeshadow along with foundation so portray a soft yet alternative style of clothing like her personality. 



Walking through hallway type shots I collected on the day:
- The shots are slightly off centre therefore when I get to final editing stages I will be straightening these shots to ensure that they are professional looking.






The throwing of the paper in the air shots were particularly difficult to catch therefore I did this from all different angles to be able to make sure I had the correct footage and enough footage to piece them together. 




Shooting Day Two - Re filming
Plan:


In order to make my narrative more explored and for the audience to get a good grasp on the video I wanted to refilm certain parts of my video, I had to make sure that all my footage was the same therefore my actor and actress had to be wearing the same costume as well as having the same hair and make up. I looked at the first footage and saw what I was missing, as you can see from my plan I have made I had to consider the change of day therefore the lighting inside the entrance of the building where I had filmed and also what public will be in the building. This was one this I had to be aware of at all times. Wyke College Ash Buidling, especially the entrance is believed to be the busiest building at peak day due to the specific classrooms they have in the building. I had to keep aware of the public passing and coming through as well as who was sat on the tables behind where I was filming, if it would be the same. 
On my second day filming there was a slight change in people at the far end of the tables nearest to me and my talent. However the most noticeable is the girl in a pink coat and due to Elle's head in my final videos it looks as if she has been hidden so this isn't so much of a problem and is just something you have to taken into account when working with public places. I feel having people around at the time has made it more of a realistic venue to my storyline, a stereotypical drop in a school corridor moment so it doesn't look too staged. 

This is a screen shot of all the parts that I filmed on my second day of filming. The main sections I wanted to re create were a wider set of movements of my actor walking down from his location, Elle's close up of her eyes and face to make sure I can get the same shot in a different location for the transition and Jamie being down on one knee for the giving over of the papers. Whilst on my second filming day what I tried to do was add paper to my previous scene. MY actress was only available for a short amount of time on this filming day therefore I tried to get two volunteers to throw the paper in the air and then layer this mask ontop of the other filming, however this didn't go to plan and once I experiments with it in iMovie and also Final Cut Pro I was still unable to make this happen there I will have to consider cutting that part of the video or re filming that section again. 
Here are a few videos I filmed on that day: 

These were the movement shots I needed to be able to capture Jamie walking from his location. I felt these went to plan and I had no trouble whilst filming these scene, it was simple and I can easily use them in my final video.


In the kneeling section I asked Jamie to have a cheeky quirky look on his face, one that is very smug. I did this to keep the reputation of him being a popular, good looking guy risen therefore it matched both the narrative and the stereotype. I had to be aware again of public here therefore I filmed the bottom video again once I knew the girl in the black coat behind Jamie had gone therefore I was able to decided which shot if any I wanted to film. I purposely cut off the top of Jamie's head here as I wanted enough of Elle's hair in the shot to show the over the shoulder shot but also the small rising of the hand therefore I felt a medium close up was more apparent and relevant in this situation rather a long shot of the movement. 




Elle's reaction and opening of the eyes. In each of my shots you will hear me directing them. I did this so that I knew exactly when I wanted to start, end and edit my cuts. I was under control with these and feel that Elle did a fabulous job in terms of doing what I asked her to do. I loved the middle video the most of her reaction as she is polite yet timidly looks away which clearly shows her affection for him.


What I concluded from the first and second shooting days:
The first set of edits came out successful I believe. 



First Shoot and Edits

Knowing the first part of the song still had to be filmed I gave myself around a minute before applying the music to the video. This then allocated time for me to put in the other videos as well as working with timings for this section. I filmed both sides of my actors from their first locations so that I had the full narrative shown and made sure I had enough footage to build a story from it.
I wanted to vary all of my shots such as the heights, pans, zooms, still close ups and general mid shots. I feel that a piece is so much more interesting when this is the case and a variety of shots are shown. Having the same style of shots would be too boring to the audience and for entertainment value it is a must. It is also conventional for music videos to do this, especially modern pop videos themselves.
In this section I cut my videos so that they had around a two second slot before it changed to a different angle, this could be seen as a little too much however my song, even though it could be an acoustic version I use, it has a quick tempo therefore the shots that I will be creating will be similar to match this song. I edited to song as close to the beats as possible which is another strong convention of music videos, even if there is no lip syncing allocated there is always ways you can interpret the video the beat of the song in places, in most occasions. I feel that this first section of my video is good enough of a narrative however certain things could be re filmed such as the turn of elle, the time I shot the back shot of her turning to the flow the papers were almost hitting the floor already instead of really high so it makes it look like there is no paper here. I need to change this bit as it is visible at right away.  I realise there is sound in the last section of this video and that is my mistake for not muting that therefore I will be sure to do so in the coming future.
I feel that this section is very long and will definitely need shortening for it to be able to fit in my video as I have planned it as only a small section of my video. Never the less once I have filmed the other parts and edited them I can then put it all together. I realise I may have to use a different part of the music for this section to be able to fit my whole video in therefore I will have to match as close to the song lyrics as possible to match another convention well.

No comments:

Post a Comment